Today 14 June 2017 is the world blood donor day. If you really want to play your part in doing something positive, think about blood donation. The slogan by WHO this year is; “In crisis or emergency situation, the natural human response is ‘What can I do? How can I help?’. “Therefore, the slogan for the 2017 campaign is: What can you do? with the secondary message: Give blood. Give now. Give often.”
Why to donate Blood?
Donating a small amount of blood can save a lot of lives in different cases of emergency including accidents and other ailments. It does not cause any side effects or pain on your body. Rather physicians declare it good for a healthy body.
Who can be a part of Blood Donor Day?
Everyone can donate blood with a few exceptions. The most suitable candidates for blood donations are the people;
- Aging between 18 to 66
- With a good and healthy physical condition
- With a minimum body weight of about 50 kg.
- Who have filled their stomach about 2 to 3 hours before blood donation. It’s important to stabilize your blood sugar level.
Some other useful Tips for Blood Donors
- Iron and vitamin enriched diet should be preferred by the regular blood donors.
- Fainting and dizziness are the most common symptoms one can face. To prevent that, hydrate yourself well about 2 hours before blood donation.
- Even after donating blood, eat (vitamin and folic acid enriched) well and hydrate yourself well.
- Don’t forget to take your donor card with you.
Safety Tips to Follow
Check out the hygienic standards of the point you are donating blood at. The syringe and all related tools must be sterilized. Doctors must use gloves during whole procedure.
[Read here: What you should know about Total Solar Eclipse 2017]
Who cannot Donate Blood?
- Generally, doctors do not recommend pregnant and menstruating women to be a part of blood donation. Besides that, anyone who has been undergoing some sort of medication or treatment must avoid it.
- In UK, people who have recently got their bodies tattooed, are also not considered suitable for blood donation.
- If anyone is suffering from any infection (even flu), must not donate blood.
- Those who are suffering from High BP cannot be a part of it.